Translate

Friday, May 11, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginning: The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune #2) by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson || Friday 50/50: Series on Your TBR You'll Keep/Get Rid Of

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



My husband has been trying to get me to read these books since I met him (Almost 12 years). As I am not the biggest fan of Sci-fi I have been reluctant. But he finally convinced me and told me this is a good one to start with. I wonder how it will go, I do hope that I like it.

Synopsis:
    More than two decades have passed since the events chronicled in The Butlerian Jihad. The crusade against thinking robots has ground on for years, but the forces led by Serena Butler and Irbis Ginjo have made only slight gains; the human worlds grow weary of war, of the bloody, inconclusive swing from victory to defeat.
    The fearsome cymeks, led by Agamemnon, hatch new plots to regain their lost power from Omnius--as their numbers dwindle and time begins to run out. The fighters of Ginaz, led by Jool Noret, forge themselves into an elite warrior class, a weapon against the machine-dominated worlds. Aurelius Venport and Norma Cenva are on the verge of the most important discovery in human history-a way to "fold" space and travel instantaneously to any place in the galaxy.
    And on the faraway, nearly worthless planet of Arrakis, Selim Wormrider and his band of outlaws take the first steps to making themselves the feared fighters who will change the course of history: the Fremen.



Book Beginning:
Prologue
Historians do not agree on the messages carried in detritus of the long-ago past.

My 56:
"What have you done?" Vergyl cried, his voice rough. "You fools, what have you done?"











*     *     *     *     *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.


I haven't done a TBR cull in a while. I tend to read the books that I own, the physical ones anyway. There are a number of eBooks that I have downloaded because they were free, some of them entire series. I haven't really looked into what they are about yet, I just read the title and a bit of the synopsis and thought "that sounds interesting, and hey, it's free!"

I do know that I feel reluctant to finish Throne of Glass, even though I still want to know how it all ends. I just don't want to read Chaol's book to do it. By the end of Queen of Shadows, I wasn't overly fond of his character, and I don't want to read a 400+ page book centered on him.
I might borrow it from the library. I don't like not finishing series I'm invested in. I didn't continue the Red Queen series after book one, but that was years ago.

I do need to go through my "want to read" list on Goodreads and remove books that I've lost interest in reading.

7 comments:

  1. I've read the original Dune but none of the sequels. I hope you are enjoying this book. This week I am highlighting The Queen of Sorrow by Sarah Beth Durst. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have not read Dune. I should though. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get into Dune, but I hope you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of Dune, but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought after reading that 56 is that does not bode well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember friends urging me to read the original Dune book years ago, but I was too intimidated by the page count!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I'm going to read Dune...

    ReplyDelete