Translate

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginning: Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi || Friday 50/50: Book With Most Complex/Straightforward Plot Structure

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

So, Kind of cheating here. When I first shared this it was just a chapter sample. This is the full book, I'm currently reading it. And baby Jesus is it good. Thank you, NetGalley.


Synopsis:
Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. 
But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.
Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 
Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.



Book Beginning:
I try not to think of her. But when I do I think of rice. When Mama was around, the hut always smelled of jollof rice.

My 56:
"I don't need you." Zélie narrows her eyes. "I'll find them by myself." But fear drips from her skin like sweat.
Her fear of being alone.




- - - - -

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

These are two books that I enjoyed. Both kinds of plots can produce an enjoyable book. Also, to make it easier, I'm going with books from the past 6 months. Book cover is linked to my review.

Complex



Stright-Forward

14 comments:

  1. What a cover. Is the second sentence of the Book Beginning missing a comma? I must have read it five times before it made sense to me. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It's a type of food in the world of the book. Granted I am reading an uncorrected proof so that might have something to do with it.

      Delete
  2. Children of Blood and Bone is one of my most anticipated books of 2018. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel almost in the mood to read something with the word magic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing! I love the 56 especially. It definitely caught my attention. I hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already got this on my list! Man, I love that cover too.

    My Friday 56 from Look For Her

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound intriguing. Great cover too. I'm spotlighting Year One by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome! I;m off to make sure it is on my GR list. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Girl in the Town has been on my TBR for so long. I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting choice! Sounds like a terrific read.

    Here is mine: http://bit.ly/2FWhfMQ

    I forgot to leave my link earlier. Oops!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I STILL have yet to read The Bear and the Nightingale but hopefully I'll make time for it this year. I'm a big fan of complex plotlines, especially when I have a whole weekend to myself just for reading. Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  11. That hildren of Blood and Bone books sounds like quite an adventure! Thanks for sharing the opening on Book Beginnings. I don't often get time to comment, but I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete