Translate

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'm Thankful For

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

I wish I remembered more of the books I've read in my life, I know I read a bunch of books as a kid that shaped who I am in a way, but I don't remember them. 

Harry Potter Series by JK Rowlng - I didn't start reading these books until after the movies were already coming out, even though I was around 12, 13 when they were published. But they got me back into reading for fun a little more. They were some of the books that made reading for fun again feel possible. 

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - This is one of the first books I remember reading. I was in I think 3rd grade. A very sad book, but I remember loving it.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - This was really the book that got me back into reading for fun. After being forced to read so many books that just did not interest me all through middle school and the first year of high school, I was kind of burnt out on reading. Until I picked up this book. I fell in love with the world Tolkien created. Unfortunately, I find his other books to be a bit too... wordy. But that's what happens when a historian and a linguist writes a book.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - One of the few books I had to read for school that I loved. It really makes you think about censorship, and what banning books, or anything offensive really means. Probably my favorite classic novel.

A Story of Now by Emily O’Beirne - Probably my favorite coming of age LGBT story I have read. There aren't many that focus on women coming to terms with their sexuality, and I honestly don't understand why.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor - The writing in this book/series is just so beautiful. I need to re-read it so I can post my review, I hadn't started blogging yet when I read this book. 

The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black by E.B. Hudspeth - This book just fuels my nerdy obsession with mythology and mythological creatures. I wish more of the book was the diagrams, but I love it regardless.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice - This remains my favorite Vampire book. I saw the movie first, when I was around 8 and I didn't read the book until middle school. But the character Claudia remains one of the most complex and interesting characters I have ever read.


   OK, I can only think of 8... but with the entirety of Harry Potter on this list, technically it's more than 10. 

7 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is something I see a lot in this TTT. I can't live without so I totally agree on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sweet memories of my dad reading The Hobbit to me when I was little. He does the best Gandalf voice <3 My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone-I had won a copy and just loved it!! I've heard Fahrenheit 451 is excellent. Very nice list!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2017/11/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Bradbury book is one of few that I haven't read - I'll have to fix that soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how much Harry Potter is coming up this week. That series is legendary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry Potter was such a great read...I never get tired of picking it up again. I especially love all the humour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry Potter was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/top-ten-tuesday-134/

    ReplyDelete